Join the fight to take back our communities!
ACORN is looking for a Community Organiser to build power to fight for social and economic change in Bristol.
Our neighbourhoods are under attack from developers and landlords pushing unaffordable rents and house prices, employers keeping wages down and public services being deliberately run into the ground by politicians. It will be your job to organise the fightback!
About the job
As a community organiser with ACORN, you will be responsible for organising and working with neighbourhood members to fight to keep our local areas healthy and safe, for decent and affordable housing, to strengthen our schools, bring better jobs to our communities and more.
ACORN is a union in the community. Like any union our members pay membership dues so that they can have a sustainable independent organisation to fight for their interests.
You will be the organiser for ACORN in Bristol, working to recruit members, build community-based ACORN groups, strengthen the city branch and to expand the reach of ACORN’s campaigns in low-to-moderate income neighbourhoods. The job will include direct door to door contact with people discussing local and national issues and getting them involved in the organisation.
No formal qualifications are necessary. We’re primarily looking for someone with a strong work ethic who understands the problems faced by working class communities and who is willing to put in the time and do what it takes to build ACORN organisations in these communities and power for our members.
*Applications from women and/or ethnic minorities are strongly encouraged
**Room for advancement in the organisation is available
The successful applicant will have:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A commitment to the social justice movement and dedication to building power for low-income people
- The ability to sign up paying members for ACORN and to fundraise
- The ability to organise and build neighbourhood-based community groups
- The ability to organise community members to take action on multiple issues for local neighbourhood campaigns as well as city and national campaigns
- The ability to work independently and manage a team
- The ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and be detail-oriented
- A willingness to work sometimes long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, usual working hours are between 12-8pm
£16 – 19,000 pa dependent on experience and level of responsibility.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview in Bristol. This will take place in March and will include elements of formal interview and field work. Full details will be sent out closer to the time.
Make a copy, download and complete the full Application Form. Please return via email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting Vacancy Reference ‘Bristol CO’ or send hard copies to ACORN, CWU, 20 Church Road, Bristol, BS5 9JA. Please ensure that you read and refer to the Job Description, Person Specification & Selection Criteria. Applications that fail to do this will not be considered.
The deadline for applications is Thursday 28th February 2019 so please ensure that applications are posted to arrive by this date. Late applications will not be considered. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com