About the job
An injury to one is an injury to all! Many people need ACORN when their landlord won’t do repairs or when they get an eviction notice. As the member defence coordinator for ACORN, you will be responsible for bringing members together to use our strength in numbers to help solve problems individual members are facing.
You will be the member defence coordinator in Bristol, and will be the first point of contact for individuals seeking help with their housing problems. You will identify members best placed to support individuals in their time of need and will skill up our membership to do this as well as possible.
ACORN is a direct action organisation. Although you may need to check the law from time to time, the role is not about giving advice or being an advocate. There are other organisations which perform these roles well. This role is about facilitating members to use our strength in numbers to stand up for each other and get results.
No formal qualifications are necessary. We’re primarily looking for someone with a strong work ethic who understands the problems faced by working class people and a desire to do something about them. We want someone who is able to think strategically, who can support members to plan demonstrations and other actions to put pressure on landlords/companies/other decision makers.
*Applications from women and/or ethnic minorities are strongly encouraged
**Room for advancement in the organisation is available
The successful applicant will have:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A commitment to the social justice movement and dedication to building power for low-income people
- The ability to sign up paying members for ACORN and to fundraise
- A willingness to undertake research
- The ability to work independently and manage a team
- The ability to stay calm in stressful/conflict situations
- The ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and be detail-oriented
- A willingness to visit individuals in their homes
- A willingness to work sometimes long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, usual working hours are between 12-8pm
- Experience in taking direct action is desirable
£16000 pro rata, 3 days per week
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview in Bristol. This will take place in March and will include elements of formal interview and field work. Full details will be sent out closer to the time.
Make a copy, download and complete the full Application Form. Please return via email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting Vacancy Reference ‘Bristol MD’ or send hard copies to ACORN, CWU, 20 Church Road, Bristol, BS5 9JA. Please ensure that you read and refer to the Job Description, Person Specification & Selection Criteria. Applications that fail to do this will not be considered.
The deadline for applications is Thursday 28th February 2019 so please ensure that applications are posted to arrive by this date. Late applications will not be considered. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com